Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I've read Gatsby maybe three times during my life and dipped in and out of it on a couple occasions because it is just such a short quick read with that rare combination of easy accessibility and densely rich meaning with its clear plot and intriguing characters set against a post-war America. The affable Nick Carraway narrates as he moves in next door to the curious Jay Gatsby ,renowned for his glorious and glittering night-time parties; meets the sportswoman Jordan Baker through his cousin Daisy and, in short, plays party to the discovery of Gatsby's mysterious past.

There is I'm sure a lot to this novel, but I think I'll forgo the conservative in-depth analysis as on my most recent reading there are only a few dog-eared pages that I have noted to return to.

1 comment:

  1. i've read this book twice now.. and i really like it... you're right about nick discovering all about gatsby's past... i like the way you put it too.. and i love that about the book, its that you're getting to know gatsby just as nick is... both times i read it, i was still excited to find out what happens next (though granted i'd read it five years apart and forgotten a few of the details)

    this time around though, i didn't like nick.. he really annoyed me! he was judgmental and for no reason.. not like he did anything great with his life in business or love! and i felt even more sorry for gatsby than i did before.. made me feel like he just wanted to be loved and daisy just walked all over him!

    ReplyDelete