Friday, September 25, 2009

The Third Man - Perspective


Harry Lime meets Martins at the fair ground and they enjoy an enlightening
conversation in a carriage of the ferris wheel as it climbs.

MARTINS
Have you ever seen any of your
victims?

HARRY
Do you know, I don't ever feel
comfortable on these sort of
things...Victims?

He opens the door of the carriage.

HARRY
Don't be melodramatic.
Look down there...

LONG SHOT

from Martins' eye line of the fair ground far below and the
people now on it.

HARRY (O.S.)
Would you feel any pity if one of
those dots stopped moving forever?

HARRY
If I offered you £20,000 for every
dot that stopped - would you
really, old man, tell me to keep my
money? Or would you calculate how
many dots you could afford to
spare?...Free of Income Tax, old
man...

...free of Income Tax.

HARRY
It's the only way to save money
nowadays.

MARTINS
Lot of good your money will do you
in jail.

...

HARRY
You're just a little mixed up about
things.
...in general. Nobody thinks in
terms...
...of human beings. Governments
don't, so why should we? They talk
about the people, and the
Proletariat... I talk about the
suckers and the mugs...
It's the same thing. They have
their five-year plan, and so have I.

MARTINS
You used to believe in God.

HARRY
I still do believe in God, old
man... I believe in God and Mercy
and all that... The dead are
happier dead. They don't miss much
here...
...poor devils.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/the_third_man.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment